Ooh, new shooting truck

Show off your shooting truck or ask general related questions here
hairyyoda

Re: Ooh, new shooting truck

Post by hairyyoda » 02 Sep 2018, 20:33

And Churchill shouted "Clementine my dear come and fetch the dog, I am just going to enjoy a cigar in the evening air and then I am going to drive Monty down to North Africa for a reunion with the remainder of the allied generals, should be back in 10 or 12 days depending on the storms in the Mediterranean, feed the black swans while I am gone Clemy there's a good woman."

Thanks
Phil

P.S. If I am remembering correctly :?: I believe that "UKE 80 sold for about £130,000 in 2012 :?: "
ImageImage

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 02 Sep 2018, 20:56

Awesome. Cheers Phil
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 04 Sep 2018, 12:09

phoenix wrote:
01 Sep 2018, 21:47
I can speak from my own experience of working in several countries in Africa where all the Land Rovers I saw (and there were quite a few) were lying discarded in junk heaps whereas I didn't see any Landcruisers in junk heaps. The Landcruisers - including a lot of the Tonka toy early models were still driving around.
The Landrover may have been a British success story in the 1950s and 60s when there were lots of ex colonies where Britain still had considerable influence, but it's comfort and reliability failed to keep pace with it's competitors (principally the Land cruiser) resulting in said piles of junk.

Cheers

Bruce
Sorry Bruce, but you're wrong there (yes, I'm back) The real reason for LR's demise overseas was LR's forward planning. It was common knowlege in the magazines, at trials and other events where LR staff turned up that LR were dropping the overseas market (At that time LR used to sponsor trials and some of their staff competed, you got to talk to them). Apparently, at the time, LR had a waiting list for their vehicles, they could sell every one they made twice over, and they only made 4x4's. What they didn't need was the money draining pit of shipping spares overseas then selling them at a loss. Think back to the seventies, air freight cost a fortune, and once in the country it still had to be flown to some God forsaken dust bowl in the middle of nowhere. LR made the decision to stop sponsoring overseas spares, if you wanted parts you arranged them yourself. The independents we have now over here didn't exist to ship parts out, John Craddock was still selling parts from his dads garages behind his betting shop. When you bought of him you went through the lock ups until you found what you needed.
Toyota on the other hand needed sales, 4x4's were a small part of their line up so sponsoring the brand overseas was sensible. What they lost by stocking spares abroad was more than covered by sales of family cars to the cities in that country.

So there you have it,LR pulled out, leaving thousands of old LR's with no spares and therefore lying dead, Toyota shipped parts out and kept their 4X4's alive.
Good move for LR? We'll never know. They went through a bad patch courtesy of Rover, BMW and Ford, then a huge turnaround with Tata. Will it last, unlikely as far too many about now for the niche market a 50k+ base model car needs. Would you spend 150k on a motor when theres dozens of them on the local council estate? Will they succeed as a mass producer, doubtful as they've left it too late for large diesel / petrol cars. Will their electric ones be a success, again doubtful without some very good marketing to completely change the view of customers regarding LR's line up, most see LR as a maker of big uneconomical 4x4's.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 04 Sep 2018, 14:27

I accept that LR did not pursue their overseas markets and IMHO that was due to a really narrow view of the world (I'm all right jack and f**k the rest of you) which turned out to cost them dear
BTW I keep hearing this myth about how XX% of land rovers ever made are still running (insert the ludicrously large number of your choice)
Maybe in the UK it has some truth (due largely to the die hard enthusiasts like yourself), but in the rest of the world, the real number would start with a zero and a decimal point :D

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 04 Sep 2018, 18:34

That story (fact) is donkeys years old now, so the amount still running has got to get less and less. be intersting to see just how many 20 /30/ 40 year old Toyota's, Mitzi's etc are still running though. Don't forget every Disco 1 you see is 20 or more years old, and classics even older. That before we even count series and Defenders.

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 04 Sep 2018, 18:58

I agree with what you are saying Bruce, but from a UK practical and frugal situation under the 40 year exemption rules a ordinary working person who needs to go off road to go shooting or fishing or anything else outdoorsy would be hard pressed to beat a 1977 Series hard topped S/W. No road fund duty required, exempt from any MOT requirements, spare parts can be found in most farmers hedgerows or old school vehicle graveyards, :think: can even give you a few more plus points with the lack of fussy electronics and when the wife girlfriend or mistress bluntly refuses to be taken shopping in such a glorious vehicle, someone may have just found themselves in a win win situation :idea: :think: :roll:
Much of the whole reasoning about the graveyards of dead European vehicles left and abandoned around the world is also a result of the cost and timescale in getting replacement parts out of Europe to the sub continent.
A 90 or a early Defender does what it says on the packet, it's basic :thumbup: it's honest :thumbup: it does not pretend to be very comfortable, it will never give you any G force experiences on cornering, it will pull a 3500 kg trailer :thumbup: it's a bloody good workhorse which can be easily upgraded with zillions of options, it's a vehicle that you can hand on to a grandchild :thumbup: you could teach the general maintenance to any reasonably compos mentis willing pair of hands, it's like a Morris 1000 pick up but in 4 wheel drive.
Whats not to like :idea: find yourself one that has had a galvanised chassis rebuild and your good for dozens of years :thumbup:
Dear Queenie drives the Safari version around Balmoral and Sandringham "and money and any costs for 4 X 4 transport to the Royals is not a deciding factor.

Thanks
Phil
ImageImage

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 04 Sep 2018, 19:16

Bruce, I read an article many years ago by that long haired businessman who was head of the cbi or something, he was quite an astute business man. He said, and this is probably why LR did what they did back then, that the difference between American, Japanese and UK business was as follows.

American companies main objective is to be the biggest in the world, they want to be huge companies and invest in R&D accordingly.

Japanese companies want a successful business to be proud of and bring honour to the family, so they look at the funds left at the end of the year, take out what they need for R&D etc and if there's any left directors or management get an end of year bonus,

UK companies wnat to make as much money as possible as quickly as possible, so look at what funds they have at the end of the year, decide what bonuses to hand out and if there's any left they may give some to R&D, after they've decorated the offices and bought new cars.

When you look around he seems to be on the ball with that one, and it still goes on (Carrillion)

"Argo, a great 8x8"

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 04 Sep 2018, 20:11

Rod,
I think that's something we can both agree on :thumbup:

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 04 Sep 2018, 21:01

rodp wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 19:16
I read an article many years ago by that long haired businessman who was head of the cbi or something, he was quite an astute business man.
Rod, could have been "Digby Jones" now known as Lord/Baron Digby Jones.

or another person who was outspoken on big business maters was John Harvey-Jones :?: think that he headed ICI years ago.

Thanks
Phil
ImageImage

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 04 Sep 2018, 21:45

That's him Phil, Digby Jones. Couldn't remember his name.

"Argo, a great 8x8"