Solaris srx with drone

Flashlights, IR illuminators. Projects, reviews and queries. DIY 'stickies' here too.
Davesniper

Re: Solaris srx with drone

Post by Davesniper » 02 Oct 2018, 20:52

my SRX came today ..I have just been out for a test with it and the drone..put the t20 ruby on first to scale it with at 400 yds the ruby did ok at a post but not a lot of defanition around the post grass etc ..the SRX went on with half the zoom , it gave me the WOW factor streight away ..scanning around the field there was a pit and I know it is close to 400yds I spotted a black cat , there was no if's or rr's positive ID well pleased with it ..my mate wants to try it on his addernight to see it takes the grainy out of the picture?

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 03 Oct 2018, 10:15

I have used a Dragonfly with a drone since they came out and imo there is no led that can live with it. I have also tried a DFK laser which was superb, just a clean bright light with no artifacts and very good build quality.
I have tried various ruby pilled torches out of interest but they aren't a patch on a good laser
and give off a really bright red glow which is perfect for spooking foxes. The lasers have very little in the way of a red glow thus being very covert, ideal for smart foxes.
If i was buying again i would go DFK, Dragonfly (selected) then Solaris in that order.
I personally wouldn't entertain a led torch especially the ruby pilled one's because you are defeating the object of night vision, you may as well have a red filtered lamp.

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 03 Oct 2018, 12:39

jackal1 wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 10:15
I have used a Dragonfly with a drone since they came out and imo there is no led that can live with it. I have also tried a DFK laser which was superb, just a clean bright light with no artifacts and very good build quality.
I have tried various ruby pilled torches out of interest but they aren't a patch on a good laser
and give off a really bright red glow which is perfect for spooking foxes. The lasers have very little in the way of a red glow thus being very covert, ideal for smart foxes.
If i was buying again i would go DFK, Dragonfly (selected) then Solaris in that order.
I personally wouldn't entertain a led torch especially the ruby pilled one's because you are defeating the object of night vision, you may as well have a red filtered lamp.
I've been bleating about lasers for awhile now, and for rear mounted units there unbeatable... I own a Dragonfly and Solaris SRX, both good units.. The Solaris being the safer option as it has a power indicator to shows its on., its also much cheaper than the Dragonfly, the DF has a slight edge on range due to larger head, bit nothing much at all..

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 03 Oct 2018, 12:58

Mini Magnum wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 12:39
jackal1 wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 10:15
I've been bleating about lasers for awhile now, and for rear mounted units there unbeatable... I own a Dragonfly and Solaris SRX, both good units.. The Solaris being the safer option as it has a power indicator to shows its on., its also much cheaper than the Dragonfly, the DF has a slight edge on range due to larger head, bit nothing much at all..
Never had a DF so I don`t know but the SRX is easy and quick to turn from flood to spot.

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 03 Oct 2018, 14:00

DRAGONFLY, DFK, SOLARIS SRX. LASERS

Before i bought my Solaris srx i had a good think about the positives and negatives on all the above with the help of that y-tube video do by John bailey.

DRAGONFLY i immediately ruled this out due to the "good one's and bad one's" and they all seem to have that bar code showing in the beam

DFK if you look carefully at this Y-tube footage this laser isnt clear through out its beam spread, + the fact that its not properly advertised, although i have a feeling this is marginally the most powerful ?

SOLARIS SRX, there have been quite a few people buy these's now, and when the likes of "Kevgun" and many more trusted people on here say's there good well then they must be -----so i bought one, build quality is first class, 5 year warranty :thumbup:, the beam is clean and clear through out the beam spread and "IF" it is a smidge down on range at the side of the other two how for does anyone want to shoot with a safe back stop -----early days yet for me but as ive said before i was looking over 700 yds with the Drone pro a few nights ago and rabbits at 120 yd-ish were whiting out, not total white out but if id been shooting at the the power intensity would have required reducing.

Bet all the above will really bring a tubed add on to life as there is no light spill that you get with these's L E D torches.
Now that the remaining foxes are wiseing up i have been finding that the "RUBY" is spooking some of them, --------all the above lasers im sure will be less spook, the Solaris srx only gives off a small less bright signature at source.

Dave (warbucks)

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 03 Oct 2018, 15:08

Whether you choose Dragonfly, DFK, Solaris it doesn't really matter they are light years ahead of led torches. (pun intended)
I have tried the DFK and Dragonfly on the Drone, A tubed gen2+ scope, an archer fitted with a photonis xr5 tube and a wardy 800 and they are superb on all of them. I cannot understand anyone putting up with led torches when you can buy the kind of performance a laser gives.

hignet

Post by hignet » 03 Oct 2018, 17:40

Would people recommend single mode srx or 3 mode for use with a ward 800L and a digiceptor worried it may white out at closer ranges on full power

jackal1

Post by jackal1 » 03 Oct 2018, 18:43

hignet wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 17:40
Would people recommend single mode srx or 3 mode for use with a ward 800L and a digiceptor worried it may white out at closer ranges on full power

If you flood the beam it won't white out.

hignet

Post by hignet » 03 Oct 2018, 19:08

Thanks jackals thinking of just going single mode less faffing about

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 03 Oct 2018, 19:15

hignet wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 17:40
Yes im with Jackel 1 here single power and widen the beam to suit, it wont white out then.

I did start off with the 3 power mode one but i couldnt get my one to memorise the power setting, now weather this one was faulty or i was operating it wrong i dont know ? -------if i got mine on full power left it on for more than 10 seconds, turned it off, the next time i turned it on it started on low ? as i think that is what come's after full power ?---------i thought this is going to cost me a fox at some stage, so swapped it for a full powered one :thumbup: in a few weeks time there is supposed to be a variable powered switch for these's at around £20, so there is always that option at a later date if you need it.

Dave (warbucks)