Yukon RT vs ATN 4K?

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
satorumusashi

Yukon RT vs ATN 4K?

Post by satorumusashi » 15 Oct 2018, 09:13

Hi all,

Looking to get a budget NV scope and am considering the Photon RT and ATN 4K Pro.
Wondering what people consider the pros and cons for a head to head comparison.
Also open to other recommendations at a similar price point if it exists
Last edited by satorumusashi on 16 Oct 2018, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Yukon vs ATN?

Post by phoenix » 15 Oct 2018, 10:14

The Photon RT is good, but if you're on a budget, get the Photon XT - essentially the same scope without the bells and whistles of wifi and on board recording
The jury is still out on the ATN 4K. There have been a few reports on it, one in particular by a guy with a lot of NV experience who really rates it.
Others are less impressed. One Australian professional pest controller generally liked it but rated it's NV performance as worse than the Pulsar N355 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLaF70apHmU

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

satorumusashi

Re: Yukon vs ATN?

Post by satorumusashi » 16 Oct 2018, 05:54

Thanks for the info Bruce.

I've seen that video and read about the XT Extreme mod.
The only thing I do like about the RT in preference is being able to scan for game in the low zoom and then digital zoom (crop?) to take the shot.
From what I've read the XT doesn't "zoom," but is there firmware update to allow this?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Yukon RT vs ATN 4K?

Post by phoenix » 16 Oct 2018, 08:48

The XT doesn't have any sort of digital zoom and there are no firmware updates to add this feature.
The RT does have digital zoom (crop) but the sensor doesn't have many pixels to start with, so image quality degrades very quickly even at x2 zoom
IMHO, using a rifle mounted sight for scanning is a big no no - get a separate spotter for that!

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR