New member from North Wales

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
Drummer70

New member from North Wales

Post by Drummer70 » 29 Jun 2020, 08:17

This is my first post on here, so hello.

I was recommended this site from a member on an airgun forum as we were discussing NV at length. I’m a recent owner of a Photon RT, bought mainly for footage to be uploaded to my YouTube channel.

I’m trying to squeeze every little drop of performance out of the on-board SD camera.

I’m looking at lens conversion and I’ll look at the advice on here to complete the conversion.

Thanks for reading!

blueeyes

Re: New member from North Wales

Post by blueeyes » 29 Jun 2020, 11:38

Big welcome to the forum :thumbup:

jthyttin

Post by jthyttin » 29 Jun 2020, 12:42

Welcome!

Regarding Photon performance, usually I'd recommend VCSEL type torch but you mentioned airguns so if you're shooting short distance the integrated IR might be sufficient or even better. Maybe try to get hold of some different torches to try, or ask a question in Illumination section what peope find best for the distances you're using?

Drummer70

Post by Drummer70 » 29 Jun 2020, 16:39

Thanks for the reply!

That was the first route I took. I bought a few different IR torches and I’ve found the on-board IR to be as good at the distances I shoot (up to 50 metres).

My biggest gripe (apart from the SD camera) is that at the higher magnification (12x) the footage pixelates quite a bit. This is a bit of a pain when out ratting because I tend to use the higher mag. Hence the suggestion to go for a lens conversation. I’ve seen the footage produced from a few YouTube channels having gone through the process and it’s impressive.

I think they converted the 42mm scope. I have the 50mm so I’m unsure of the best lens to use or the size of down step ring.

jthyttin

Post by jthyttin » 29 Jun 2020, 17:26

Problem with Photons is the main tube to front unit attachment, it's quite delicate if you knock it the front unit "looks to other direction" and thus zero changes (there's no parts in the main tube affecting this, but because main tube aligns the device to the rifle the zero shift occurs). More so if you put doubler lens that makes it heavier (and the leverage higher).

Forum member Kevgun (manufacturer of the go-to Drone Pro mount), mentioned something about making a mount for Photon also, that would similarly support the front unit. But I think he's got his hands full since he's also prototyping new adjustable mount for Pard NV008 and people are queueing on his doorstep...

If Pard NV008 were more readily available I'd suggest looking for one, maybe second hand when owner wants to upgrade to new model and/or LRF. It has 8x base mag (instead of claimed 6.5x) and 2x zoom would not affect picture quality (resolution in camera is much higher than in near eye display). But the demand is greater than supply and it drives the second hand prices up also.

Drummer70

Post by Drummer70 » 29 Jun 2020, 18:01

I was looking at offloading the Photon, I was going round in circles with trying to improve the footage quality with additional IR, but in essence it’s the camera quality that lets it down. Having said all that the YouTube video I watched of Si Pittaway (Vermin Hunters UK) convert his 42mm XT For £18.00 might make me reconsider. He used a 48mm to 46mm down step ring and a Vivitar MTV777 46mm 1.5x lens. He admitted he didn’t have any issues with the removal of the Photon retaining ring. The quality of the footage he shot using it is outstanding.

The video is below.

https://youtu.be/b_SmgtREOEg