Hey foreign guys...Yankee question

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
User avatar
hairyyoda
Posts: 999
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 18:26
Location: Carmarthenshire

Re: Hey foreign guys...Yankee question

Post by hairyyoda » 08 Jul 2016, 13:46

:wave: Long handled shovels, spades and other long handled garden/allotment/agricultural hand tools are easier to use over a long working day, you might move/shift a bit less material per scoop but there is a lot less back ache when used on a reparative long job. "A good pitch fork will need at least 5 foot plus of handle to handle and balance well, you can move a huge load of wood chippings/sawdust with a long handled shovel with hardly any back ache. There was a time when the older generation would only be seen opening up a row of potatoes with a long handled potato shovel/spade. Different parts off the country have different styles and shape of billhooks, axes, shovels, spades, forks etc. etc. very serious subject with some collectors and some sought after vintage makes don't come cheap. Only of relevance if you have interest in a vegetable patch or you like trashing brambles with vicious long handled slasher :lol: :clap: :lol:
:think: Your not going to need to use a long handled shovel if you live in a second floor flat in Knightsbridge :thumbup:
:crazy: :roll: :lol: :clap: :lol:
Thanks all. Phil
ImageImageImage

User avatar
rodp
NON EMMET
Posts: 4159
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 22:49
Location: The Black Country

Re: Hey foreign guys...Yankee question

Post by rodp » 08 Jul 2016, 18:13

hairyyoda wrote::wave: Long handled shovels, spades and other long handled garden/allotment/agricultural hand tools are easier to use over a long working day, you might move/shift a bit less material per scoop but there is a lot less back ache when used on a reparative long job. "A good pitch fork will need at least 5 foot plus of handle to handle and balance well, you can move a huge load of wood chippings/sawdust with a long handled shovel with hardly any back ache. There was a time when the older generation would only be seen opening up a row of potatoes with a long handled potato shovel/spade. Different parts off the country have different styles and shape of billhooks, axes, shovels, spades, forks etc. etc. very serious subject with some collectors and some sought after vintage makes don't come cheap. Only of relevance if you have interest in a vegetable patch or you like trashing brambles with vicious long handled slasher :lol: :clap: :lol:
:think: Your not going to need to use a long handled shovel if you live in a second floor flat in Knightsbridge :thumbup:
:crazy: :roll: :lol: :clap: :lol:
Thanks all. Phil
And here's me thinking all along that the shovels were normal, it's just Yanks are short :eh:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

nealh
Posts: 325
Joined: 15 Oct 2013, 23:50
Location: Monroe, Louisiana

Re: Hey foreign guys...Yankee question

Post by nealh » 08 Jul 2016, 18:28

rodp wrote:
hairyyoda wrote::wave: Long handled shovels, spades and other long handled garden/allotment/agricultural hand tools are easier to use over a long working day, you might move/shift a bit less material per scoop but there is a lot less back ache when used on a reparative long job. "A good pitch fork will need at least 5 foot plus of handle to handle and balance well, you can move a huge load of wood chippings/sawdust with a long handled shovel with hardly any back ache. There was a time when the older generation would only be seen opening up a row of potatoes with a long handled potato shovel/spade. Different parts off the country have different styles and shape of billhooks, axes, shovels, spades, forks etc. etc. very serious subject with some collectors and some sought after vintage makes don't come cheap. Only of relevance if you have interest in a vegetable patch or you like trashing brambles with vicious long handled slasher :lol: :clap: :lol:
:think: Your not going to need to use a long handled shovel if you live in a second floor flat in Knightsbridge :thumbup:
:crazy: :roll: :lol: :clap: :lol:
Thanks all. Phil
And here's me thinking all along that the shovels were normal, it's just Yanks are short :eh:
Just short handles
I love this country; it's the damn government I'm afraid of!

User avatar
sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 7315
Joined: 10 Jun 2012, 17:51
Location: buxton, derbyshire

Re: Hey foreign guys...Yankee question

Post by sunndog » 08 Jul 2016, 18:40

Yeah, i get the pitch fork thing. ours is about 5 foot long and you need that for throwing mini bales to the top of the stack

Couldn't be doing with it on a shovel though, if the films are to be believed its the standard shovel of the merkin. Seems like hard work to me
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

User avatar
rodp
NON EMMET
Posts: 4159
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 22:49
Location: The Black Country

Re: Hey foreign guys...Yankee question

Post by rodp » 08 Jul 2016, 18:51

sunndog wrote:Yeah, i get the pitch fork thing. ours is about 5 foot long and you need that for throwing mini bales to the top of the stack

Couldn't be doing with it on a shovel though, if the films are to be believed its the standard shovel of the merkin. Seems like hard work to me

In all the films I've seen they all wear black and white striped overalls as well, must be an American thing, a sort of digging uniform :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

User avatar
sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 7315
Joined: 10 Jun 2012, 17:51
Location: buxton, derbyshire

Re: Hey foreign guys...Yankee question

Post by sunndog » 08 Jul 2016, 18:59

Everything is black and white in all the films you've seen though rod :lol:
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

User avatar
rodp
NON EMMET
Posts: 4159
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 22:49
Location: The Black Country

Re: Hey foreign guys...Yankee question

Post by rodp » 08 Jul 2016, 20:14

sunndog wrote:Everything is black and white in all the films you've seen though rod :lol:

:oops: .................... :evil: ..................... Time is on my side now :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: And vengeance is sweet :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

User avatar
sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 7315
Joined: 10 Jun 2012, 17:51
Location: buxton, derbyshire

Re: Hey foreign guys...Yankee question

Post by sunndog » 08 Jul 2016, 20:48

rodp wrote:Time is on my side
Not at your age mate!




oooh, two burns in one night :wave: :lol:
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

User avatar
rodp
NON EMMET
Posts: 4159
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 22:49
Location: The Black Country

Re: Hey foreign guys...Yankee question

Post by rodp » 08 Jul 2016, 21:02

sunndog wrote:
rodp wrote:Time is on my side
Not at your age mate!




oooh, two burns in one night :wave: :lol:
Can't really argue with that :lol: :lol:

But I've time enough to wait a little while :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

User avatar
Frogman Ladue
Posts: 479
Joined: 06 Apr 2014, 00:22
Location: USA, Ohio

Re: Hey foreign guys...Yankee question

Post by Frogman Ladue » 23 May 2022, 23:53

Necro thread. :wave:

I need some translation help from you guys.

I have a friend in UK that I am trying to talk him out of buying a vintage American truck "project".

In conversing about the project, he wishes to place a modern manual transmission in a very old truck. I know the transmission will not fit.

In all my Yank wisdom, I made the statement that "you are going to have some problems trying to shoe horn a manual into that truck. The "shoe horn" statement blew his mind. "Shoe horn" is a slang term here for "It is not going to fit"...as in you need a "Shoe horn" (the tool used to put on dress shoes that are too tight) to physically get the transmission in the hole...if it will even fit.

What would be the "proper" (more like "rough") english slang way to tell him, "It ain't gonna fit".

Thanks.
Evolving work in progress, E700+DSA (Build Finished Feb2016)..Link

Last update to US spec'ed E700+DSA T-20,T67 Build. (US Parts List!)...Link

Post Reply