What's with this Amazon TV?

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 01 Jan 2017, 20:53

Right gents, my daughter is taking me to merry hell tomorrow to purchase one of these Amazon tv stick things, but what's with them? I notice they advertise two, an Amazon firestick and Amazon fire, what's the difference ? If I want to watch Amazon tv what do I need?
Can someone explain in simpletons terms because Amazon themselves don't.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

dz0rpw

Post by dz0rpw » 01 Jan 2017, 21:57

Fire stick is the cheaper of the two and will not display a resolution of 4K where the fire will. You can also store some content on the fire. I'd always suggest getting the fire over the firestick if you can afford the extra. Ignoring the above differences they will look the same on the Tv other than no 4K content if using the firestick.

Kodi can be installed on both which is a must have for watching...anything you want for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdk1

Re: What's with this Amazon TV?

Post by jdk1 » 01 Jan 2017, 22:01

I have just bought something like that but its a box instead of a stick , i can get all the sky channels , all tv channels and more films than you could ever watch all for about £80ish , you can also pay £100 per year to subscribe which gives you a bit more stable operating system (similar to sky) and access to something like 800 hd channels , this is the link for it with the fellas phone number who can explain it all to you much better than i could.

https://tvsticks.co.uk

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 01 Jan 2017, 23:30

Thanks men, looks like going for fire then. I like the sound of the "black box" but if I have to subscribe to another £100 to make it stable I'll pass on it. I like simple, just can't get on with this new technology and any hassle would have me chucking it. Son in law and daughter came round today, to connect the wife's new tablet to wifi, that's how technologically retarded we are . It's been sat here since Christmas day waiting :oops:

What's Kodi when it's at home ?

"Argo, a great 8x8"

timmyjane

Post by timmyjane » 02 Jan 2017, 00:02

Kodi is an app that must be loaded on to either the Fire Stick or the Fire TV. Its not very hard to do but it does take a little know how. There are guides on the internet.

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 02 Jan 2017, 00:03

But what is it, what's this "app" do when loaded?

"Argo, a great 8x8"

timmyjane

Post by timmyjane » 02 Jan 2017, 00:10

Its an operating system, like Windows, that allows you to load additional apps within Kodi. One of the most popular is Exodus. Many TV programs and movies are uploaded to the internet and Exodus will pull these shows down and allow you to play them.
Just about every current TV show and movie is available.
There are other apps that can be installed within Kodi that allow you to watch live TV and PPV events. The main one I can think of for the UK is Dexter. Dexter is a paid service that is about 12 pounds a month.
There are other options for live TV and PPV events but I have found them not to be very reliable so I just pay for the US equivalent of Dexter, GearsTV.

timmyjane

Post by timmyjane » 02 Jan 2017, 00:12

The entire system is not necessarily user friendly but its not too bad wither. Legality is another concern. I believe it lives in the gray area.

timmyjane

Post by timmyjane » 02 Jan 2017, 00:17

FWIW we use Kodi exclusively for television at my house. Cancelled our satellite subscription.

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 02 Jan 2017, 04:46

Thanks for the info. I think it's probably too involved for me as I couldn't even get on with netflix :oops: Too much press this, go to that, choose this. I like simple, that's probably why my everyday motor is over 20 years old, nice and simple :thumbup:

It has got electric windows though so not entirely primitive :lol:

"Argo, a great 8x8"