Noobie just landed.

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
BAZ Senior

Noobie just landed.

Post by BAZ Senior » 18 Nov 2018, 06:37

Hi, thanks for letting me in.
I have recently been out and bought myself an air rifle after 38 years down time, (forced to surrender weapon upon marriage, I have now resolved that issue! :lol: ) I purchased a Walther Century .177.
Having read a lot on various platforms about how shooting has changed over the years, other than the amount of hardware available now, I came across IR night sights and that appealed to me.
So I have set about building one up and have had some useful help off a certain AirGun forum. I used to like ratting as a lad, I never really bothered anything else other than the odd rabbit for a pensioner down the road who loved one for the pot, so the idea of doing a bit of ratting with IR really floated my boat.
I don't think there are many rabbits near me as VHD has really hit hard roundabouts, apparently we could have lost around 80% of the population, so unless asked by a permission owner, I wouldn't bother. It would be nice to be able to take just the NV out without the rifle and have a mooch round and see what is out there and has survived. I am working on a rig for the scope and one for observation, so I can scan round without using a rifle and messing up my zero etc.
I am sure that as usual I have gone both feet in without looking, but I think I am on the right track and will be reading all your posts to see if this is true or not. I am off for a week, so I intend to get down the shed and start really putting it all together and see if it works.
I'll put up a post when I am somewhere near and let you know how I have got on even if it don't work. Thanks again.

blueeyes

Re: Noobie just landed.

Post by blueeyes » 18 Nov 2018, 07:32

Hello and a big welcome we were all the same when we started lol :thumbup:

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 18 Nov 2018, 09:37

"Now resolved that issue"

LMAO welcome aboard fella
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 18 Nov 2018, 10:40

Welcome to the forum and as blue eyes says we were all at the stage you are now.
The difference is that when we started out on our "NV journey" we pretty much had to make all our own kit because there was nothing commercially available that was any good and at a price that could be afforded by most ordinary folk.
That's definitely not the situation now and there are several very good commercially available add-ons for very reasonbale prices
If you want to buy all the parts and build your own NV kit then i'm sure you'll get a lot of pleasure from that process and finish up with something that will work well enough to shoot rats (and probably more)
This kit will get you most of what you need (except batteries) and uses what's still regarded as just about the best camera for NV add-ons
https://www.sure24.co.uk/kpc-e700-tft-c ... undle.html
The downside of screen based add-ons is that it's not possible to mount the rifle normally and the glare from the screen can spook the intended quarry.
Those problems are solved with a near eye display add-on, but they are much more difficult to build, and it's easier to buy a commercially available product
The best "bang for your buck" commercially available add-on is the NV007 and is available from several sellers (often under different names - but all the same product)
This is just one example http://www.customriflescopes.com/shop.h ... y=15737046

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 18 Nov 2018, 11:27

Hi Baz, welcome to the forum.

An evening going through the forum to see what ideas appeal with tea every hour on the hour will drop more than a few build ideas on you.

If you dont have much in the way of tooling handy I have some part builds and helpful bits in the sales section that I'm clearing out that can help on the way, but many seniors have more than a few skills and tools under their belt.

Best of luck with what you make and we like photos of 'what you done' on here. :angel:

BAZ Senior

Post by BAZ Senior » 18 Nov 2018, 12:54

Here's where I am at at the moment. KT&C-E700 camera and screen package from Sure 24. Now mounted into the fitting. I have tested it from a power supply and it works just fine.
I am waiting on some scope mounts to butcher to mount the screen and the torch should hopefully fit in the figure eight ring I already have.
Thanks for the welcome folks, much appreciated.

[imghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/36yms06u227fg8c/2018- ... 3.jpg?dl=0][/img]
Last edited by BAZ Senior on 19 Nov 2018, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 18 Nov 2018, 13:13

Looks like you're pretty well sorted.
Put up some pics when it's finished and maybe a couple of stills showing the scope reticle and a target.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

BAZ Senior

Post by BAZ Senior » 18 Nov 2018, 19:05

Will do Bruce!