Nightvision 800L add on

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
Brendy

Nightvision 800L add on

Post by Brendy » 29 Dec 2018, 10:30

Hi guys ‘ got the 800L & black sun ruby br671 .... 65 mm irfor Christmas,only thing is I can’t see a lot through it. Am I using the right ir ??.my scope is a Hawke endurance.tried it out twice, 1st night saw a little but not very bright. 2nd night couldn’t see anything only lights of houses etc at really long distance. At around 100yds nothing. Either too dark r too bright.only getting into nightvision, no very little about it. Appreciate any help lads.brendy

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Nightvision 800L add on

Post by some bloke » 29 Dec 2018, 12:46

I'm assuming your scope is a side focus model? Sounds to me like you may have the torch zoomed too wide - or aimed too low in the viewing screen.
A common avoidable mistake is made by using an economy torch mount that doesn't let you aim and keep a torch to its optimum position.
Another common mistake is to use excessive illumination which the camera then blocks out - removing its distance viewing ability.

I use a monitor type rig but would do the same if I could get on with a near eye device.

I initially set my scope up on minimum mag with my integrated fixed aim torch shimmed high on its tightest beam and maximum power. You would aim your squared 'radiator' torch beam just above the centre cross hair (Lighting the distance) then lock the torch in its mount. If you bought a plastic figure of 8 type mount then you can't do that without a lot of peeing about every time you fit it. Zoom the torch wider to defocus the radiator effect which also brings a little light into more of the foreground where you don't need very much light.. and the camera won't shutter it out.

Once the torch beam is set up you will observe a progressively darker patch around the outer image - now zoom the scope into the mag you prefer to shoot at which will reduce or completely conceal the darker perimiter. Reduce the power of the illuminator when you don't need it on full power.

This type of 'scope come torch adaptor' allows you to shim the torch higher if you mount the torch in a weaver scope mount.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25mm-30mm- ... 3570304513

Use with one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-profile ... 1330844436

This method of torch mounting only has a small unobtrusive adaptor added to the scope for daylight use, but a lamping torch or illuminator can be fitted to it in seconds which correctly aims it every time.
Attachments
Scope mount (1).JPG
Scope mount (2).JPG

Brendy

Re: Nightvision 800L add on

Post by Brendy » 01 Jan 2019, 21:03

Cheers some bloke' thanks for ur advice regards the ir. Went out to night & did a bit of fiddling around with the ir & scope & after a half an hour r so result was brilliant. Really do appreciate u taking time to give me ur advice .im only getting into night vision & have to say between the forum & guys like yourself it really does make life easier .so far so good, start shooting tomorrow night.Brilliant scope so far Clive , Ta