License renewal

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
2011 fawcett

License renewal

Post by 2011 fawcett » 27 Feb 2019, 09:59

I have recently been asked by my local Police Force to consider renewing my licences early, with the necessary time adjustments, to avoid perceived high workloads and delays in the future. No problem with that as it gave me the opportunity to discuss a couple of variations. I was aware that the medical section of the application form has changed from " do you suffer from...." to " have YOU EVER suffered from...." and the accompanying correspondence is clear that no medical report - no license. So visit to surgery and no problems there until I received the cost which required pro forma payment .- £104.00 - no option but to pay up. If you don't mind me asking - is this typical?

Malcolm

garfy

Re: License renewal

Post by garfy » 27 Feb 2019, 17:04

Theres a load of info on this on stalking directory and if i remember correctly they cant charge, but youll need to quote to them why and prove it, but its all there somewhere in the legal bit. :thumbup:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 27 Feb 2019, 17:30

Home Office Guidance quite clearly states that if the Police do not receive a response from the GP to the initial "tick box" letter within 21 days, then they should assume there are no medical issues and proceed with the application.
Call your FEO and tell him your GP wants £104 and that you're not going to pay and see what he says.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

garfy

Post by garfy » 27 Feb 2019, 17:34

garfy

Post by garfy » 27 Feb 2019, 17:35

Beat me to it bruce, was just finding the info :thumbup:

2011 fawcett

Post by 2011 fawcett » 27 Feb 2019, 22:16

Well the paragraph in the letter states:-

"The Chief Constable who is ultimately responsible for the issue of the certificates has directed that all applicants for grant or renewal will now require a report from your GP. You will be responsible for the cost of this report."

I seem to recall articles in the shooting press that an increasing number of Police Forces are adopting the same attitude. Certainly when mentioning this to the BASC I was told that I would now need to provide the report at my cost.

Malcolm

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 27 Feb 2019, 23:12

When you receive your paperwork from the police for your renewal, it should include a one page letter that you give to your GP.
This letter basically has 3 yes/no questions that the GP has to answer.
the first question is : Do you have concerns about your patient being issued with a firearm or shotgun certificate
Second question is: Has your patient ever suffered from any of the conditions listed below (the list is the same as on the application form
Third question is: Have you placed a firearm or shotgun reminder code on the patients record

The GP then signs and dates the form, puts on their GMC number and practice detail and the sends it to the police or has the applicant collect it from the surgery.

Charging £104 for ticking 3 boxes and signing their name is fe**in ridiculous

Cheers

Bruce

2011 fawcett

Post by 2011 fawcett » 27 Feb 2019, 23:54

There doesn't appear to be any uniformity Bruce. Kent Police provide a draft letter of their requirements for the applicant to fill in his details and send to the GP. They are also clear in the letter that they are not putting the onus on the GP as to the suitability of the applicant to hold firearms - that responsibility remains their's.

Cheers,

Malcolm

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 28 Feb 2019, 00:20

Malcom,
We've had this situation in Scotland since April 2016 whereby the Police will not process an application for the grant or renewal of an FAC or SGC without the applicants GP confirming that the applicant has never suffered from any of the conditions listed on the application form.
Until recently, only in Scotland were the Home Office Guidelines openly disregarded
However, other forces in England and Wales have seen that Police Scotland have been "getting away with it" and are now trying it on, and most GPs see it as an easy way of making money because they correctly figured out that this type of work is outwith their NHS contract.
I'm very lucky in that my GP does not charge for completing the initial letter.
He only charges if the police require further medical information in the event that a relevant medical condition has been declared.

Cheers

Bruce