First NV Setup

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
jackalpestcontrol

First NV Setup

Post by jackalpestcontrol » 08 Mar 2019, 23:52

Hi folks, just joined and am in the process of getting my first NV setup. Been having a good old nose around and doing a bit of research and wad hoping to either grab some advice or get pointed in a suitable direction.....

So, my question is this. For my first set up what will a couple of hundred quid get me ? I was hoping to get an add on to start me off. I've been drawn to the Digital Night Stalker (WiFi) kit for just under £200. Should I be looking anywhere else ?

Will be mainly doing closer range Ratting and a few Bunnys...

All comments and advice greatly received, thanks in advance

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: First NV Setup

Post by some bloke » 09 Mar 2019, 11:22

Hiya, welcome to the forum JPC. I try not to write much about other peoples home build rigs but a comparison to something I make seems fair as its on this forum where you are asking for comments about what you are considering. :angel:

If £200 is the budget you are thinking to spend for a bare rig then I guess you could make do with the DNS - and then add the cost of an illuminator with a noisy click switch to it for close range rabbits to hear, so maybe costing a total £250 + depending on what torch you buy. I'd consider the wifi ability as nice fluff if you like that sort of thing but the skinny fragile looking leg of the 3.5" monitor looks iffy to be honest. It's built to a low selling price, so is what it is for a fair price.

If you are willing to up your budget slightly I still have part assembled components to finish a much more substantial and durable add on with a well known and industry acknowledged higher grade KPC E700 camera from SURE24 and a 5" 800x480 resolution monitor that is much more solidly carried and further from the eye so easier to focus on.

It has an integrated illuminator, and a more solid camera carrying adaptor that clamps round the entire circumference of the eyebell rather than using screws to bear on isolated parts of it, and the switches for both the imaging and three power mode illuminator are silent and reachable with a long thumb while still supporting the forestock.

This is my Quickfit Add on rig:

https://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=16309

Turnaround will be a couple of working days.

If you wish to order please say what spec you want on the sales thread so plenty of other members witness the order being placed - and fulfilled. That also gives you the opportunity to make any subsequent open forum comments and questions about it - and others can and have done the same. :angel:

blueroll

Re: First NV Setup

Post by blueroll » 10 Mar 2019, 16:46

jackalpestcontrol wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 23:52
Hi folks, just joined and am in the process of getting my first NV setup. Been having a good old nose around and doing a bit of research and wad hoping to either grab some advice or get pointed in a suitable direction.....

So, my question is this. For my first set up what will a couple of hundred quid get me ? I was hoping to get an add on to start me off. I've been drawn to the Digital Night Stalker (WiFi) kit for just under £200. Should I be looking anywhere else ?

Will be mainly doing closer range Ratting and a few Bunnys...

All comments and advice greatly received, thanks in advance
I may be selling my Ward 700 add on soon if you can stretch to £300 ?