Hello everyone !

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
jbeez1000

Hello everyone !

Post by jbeez1000 » 02 Aug 2019, 17:24

Hi everyone !
Very new to NV and just bought an XT 6.5 x50 to fit to my sub 12 BSA R10 SE.
Just started to read through some of the info here and there’s loads of brilliant information and very knowledgeable people on here to guide a newbie like me 😁 Never realised there was so much to a camera lens - I have a lot of reading to do before I begin a lens upgrade 😁👍. Cheers !
Jbeez1000

jthyttin

Re: Hello everyone !

Post by jthyttin » 03 Aug 2019, 05:55

Welcome!

If you're talking about upgrading the lens in XT I would think twice.

If you're having problems with quality of sight picture try more powerful illuminator first. I'd say LED torch is the way to go for you (range and Photon sensitivity). Attach to main tube not the provided flimsy mount.

If you need depth of field try using the flip cap with center section popped out. Adjustable iris is fancier and more versatile, but more fragile also. They both help also with over exposure, e.g. if there's some reflective surface in your sight picture it doesn't ruin the whole pic anymore (at least to much lesser extent).

Bob57

Post by Bob57 » 03 Aug 2019, 09:16

Hi mate, welcome :thumbup:

blueeyes

Post by blueeyes » 03 Aug 2019, 09:33

A big welcome to the forum , I agree with jthyttin who has given you good advise for your range :thumbup:

jbeez1000

Post by jbeez1000 » 03 Aug 2019, 11:20

Brilliant !
I will try that first ! I have started reading through the conversion posts here (loads of ace info !) but still a bit lost with the choice of lens types etc so i´ll try the basics first ! As my range requirements are a lot shorter than most on here, this may be all I need to do. Great ! Thanks again ! :D

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 03 Aug 2019, 11:40

Welcome to the forum Bejeez. :wave:

I'd say forget all about any lenses if you are thinking of trying for even more zoom than 6.5 which is already a bit too much for your target ranges unless you have serious eyesight issues. More zoom is going to make it harder to acquire your targets.

jbeez1000

Post by jbeez1000 » 04 Aug 2019, 11:02

Lol ! Eye sight not too bad yet age considered ! :lol: I´ll try the external IR source first and go from there. Away at work just now so will get a chance to try out when I get home in a few weeks :thumbup:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 04 Aug 2019, 15:00

OK, you've got an NV scope with x6.5 magnification and you are shooting a sub 12ftlbs air rifle
Given it's effective range, you simply don't need any more magnification - in fact you could probably do with a bit less and get some more field of view.
Forget the whole lens thing and get out and shoot the set up to see how you get on.
Chances are it will do everything you need

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

jbeez1000

Post by jbeez1000 » 09 Aug 2019, 11:50

In the brief time I used it trying to zero it, to my eye sight it was not quite sharp enough to see the POI very well.. granted I was using a night vision scope in daylight which is not its intended use but I will be using it in day and night time so had hoped a different lens might just sharpen up the image a little for me. As I said, i´m just beginning to use it and get used to it so once I get to spend a bit more time with it and adjust myself to a digital image i´m sure it will be all or more than I need. :D Cheers.

jthyttin

Post by jthyttin » 09 Aug 2019, 12:38

I get you're trying to see the bullet holes?

I'd say it's the camera resolution not the lens. Of course lens with more magnification gives you more detail but it's not sharper it's just bigger with less FOV.

I presume you're using the flip cap or adjustable iris turned way close in the daytime.

And also have adjusted the eyepiece so the reticle and menu are crisp, only after that use front focus to correct for distance. Way less DOF fuzzy with the cap or iris.