Yukon Photon

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
foxfire

Yukon Photon

Post by foxfire » 06 Sep 2019, 16:23

Hi all
I'm a new member to the forum, I'm fairly new to night vision and have used Nite Site stuff in the past but recently obtained a Yukon Photon XT 6.5x50 which is adequate for what need , I have also acquired a 1.5x lens to give it a bit more mag I wanted to attach it to the Yukon using a step down ring I wondered if anyone knows what the thread size is on the Yukon lens please

NTSOG

Re: Yukon Photon

Post by NTSOG » 16 Nov 2019, 01:52

Hello foxfire,

I have the Photon XT 6.5 X and bought a 'doubler' from Drew's Lab in Scotland. I toyed with trying to screw the lens directly to the XT, but decided I might wreck the sight altogether. Hence I bonded the lens to its plastic 'slip-on' mount as I found that it unscrewed with the recoil from my .222 rifle. I also put a single strip of thin plastic tape on the outside of the XT lens as a shim. The o-ring that came with the lens and mount was not sufficient to stop the whole thing moving forward with recoil. Hence I cut 4 slits [5/8'' long] equally spaced in the rear edge of the slip on mount with 1/8'' relief holes at the ín-board end of each slit. I clamped the mount in place with a SS hose clamp [painted black] and tensioned it carefully.

So far there is no movement and, shooting off a bench at 100 yards, I am getting 5 shot groups under 1/2" MOA in daylight. The rifle is an Anschutz 1532.

Jim.

muntjackdjb

Post by muntjackdjb » 16 Nov 2019, 16:36

I gave up with a doubler as field of view was poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTSOG

Post by NTSOG » 16 Nov 2019, 19:44

Yes, the field of view is more limited, but the Drew's Lab doubler both increases the range I can see, but does so with increased clarity or sharpness - though I don't understand the physics behind that observation. I use a thermal monocular to spot foxes initially and then shift to the scope to track them as they come in toward me as I whistle or when they come to one of my bait stations to eat so the field of view is less an issue, especially when they are calmly eating cheap dog food 60-80 yards away.

Jim

muntjackdjb

Post by muntjackdjb » 18 Nov 2019, 15:49

What range does the Drew’s lab doubler make the photon useable to?
Also what ir do you use?
Regards Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jthyttin

Post by jthyttin » 18 Nov 2019, 16:21

Stock 6.5 XT / 6.0 RT is usable to 150m maybe 200m (depending on your discretion) with Black Sun Dark Engine Covert (940nm 2x lens VCSEL).

NTSOG

Post by NTSOG » 18 Nov 2019, 20:53

''What range does the Drew’s lab doubler make the photon useable to?''

First, have you seen the promotional video made by Drew? The difference between base 6.5X and with the doubler is visible in that video. He put out yard markers in in the clip to aid judgement:

https://www.facebook.com/DrewsLab/video ... 109888877/

My experience is that what is seen in the video is even better and sharper in the field and focusing is much more precise with the doubler. I can't tell you what the maximum useful recognition range is - I just went out with my range finder to check distances out in the paddocks behind my house, but there is a heavy morning mist and I couldn't get a reading - but at 250 -300 yards I have no problem seeing and recognising kangaroos and foxes.

I haven't taken a shot over 100 yards on a fox, but that's because I'm new to hunting them and being careful, however I can see in very clear detail out a long way at night. I would be prepared to take a long shot [off a good rest] out to the maximum point blank range [150 yards] of my .222 Rem rifle, but only if a fox sat and would not come in. [I'm routinely shooting sub 3/4" groups off a bench at 100 yards with my Anschutz 1532 using the doubler on the Photon in daylight without lens cap.] I would also agree with jthyttin that the stock 6.5 XT is usable out to 150 yards or more, but the doubler makes that distance more achievable because of the magnification and the increased clarity.

I'm using a Ranger 56 IR LED Torch [https://www.wolfeyes.com.au/ranger-56-ir-led-torches], but the Pulsar X 850 is nearly as good. If you look at Drew's video there is a constant vertically upward moving light 'effect', but I don't get that on maximum power from my Wolfeyes torch.

I'm not sure if the doubler I bought is still stocked by the company. It was a risk to buy it sight unseen internationally, but I'm very happy with it.

Jim

PS. I checked distances out the in back paddocks this afternoon: I can clearly see and recognise kangaroos [small and large] and foxes with the Photon plus doubler out to 330+ yards, though I generally scan with a thermal monocular.