Trigger stick/ rests

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
diggerdave777

Trigger stick/ rests

Post by diggerdave777 » 06 Oct 2021, 11:10

I've never used a trigger stick/rest, and have looked at primos, would value any thoughts.
Would be using 17HMR

Bunnyspotter

Re: Trigger stick/ rests

Post by Bunnyspotter » 06 Oct 2021, 11:59

Buy some quad sticks, learn to deploy them and you’ll never look back.

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 06 Oct 2021, 12:10

The weak point on the Primos sticks is that they get water down the legs and into the locking mechanism, the crap metal corrodes and your leg stops sliding…. It is possible to take them apart for a service and I’ve done several but it’s a pita.

They’re ok if used in the dry but if they get wet then turn the upside down to let any water drain down away from the mechanism. If you have to take them apart, then a hot air gun on the tubes caps softens the glue..I use a small Boa strap for better grip.

Putting them back together I just use a piece of heat shrink to hold the caps in place….ready for next time :lol:

Quad sticks will give you a much more stable platform to shoot from though…I reckon I could probably have a reasonable zeroing session on mine they’re that steady.

Takes a bit of practice to deploy them before it becomes second nature.

Cheers
Fizz
:lol:

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 06 Oct 2021, 12:43

Good post by Fizz.
I too have tried 3 legged shooting sticks, there good point is you can move left/right where tracking a fox, have very little up/down wobble, but a lot of left/right wobble.
About 5 years ago i tried quad sticks, and although they take a little longer if you have to move left/right to track quarry, there is no left/right wobble just a little up/down movement which is control-able with practice.
If your using hmr this suggests rabbit shooting, with quad sticks you will be able to head shoot rabbits at 90 yds or more if there is no wind, and 80-90 yd rabbits will allow you more time to set the quad sticks up -----------the best shooting platform for night time rabbits.

You want a type that has a little left right adjustment platform (viper-flex type) not two v's shapes as there is no left/right adjustment without lifting the leg of the sticks which is a pain.

Dave (warbucks)

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 06 Oct 2021, 17:49

I have both and quad sticks are significantly more stable. My absolute favourite is getting the quads leant against one of the many drystone walls round my parts, its basically bench rested at that point.
As warbucks said the "flat forend" style are the best type.

That being I've really got into trigger sticks with a saddle clamp on top.
Far more stable than the standard V rest and super quick to deploy as a mono pod, great for rabbits. Lean it against a fence or a wall and it's very near quad stick level stability.
Having what people say about trigger sticks in bad weather I've mostly kept mine for dry nights and got in the habit of storing upside down.
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

Fair Hill

Post by Fair Hill » 07 Oct 2021, 11:25

I started using the Primo's about two years ago and won't go hunting without them now at this stage, they are fantastic. Silent to use, light as a feather to carry and no matter how uneven the ground you are ready to shoot off them in seconds without any messing about.
A friend of mine persuaded me to try his quad sticks recently and they are just not for me, too much faffing about altogether to get them ready for a shot off uneven ground which is pretty much all the ground I hunt on. Horses for courses but it's the trigger sticks for me, great invention.

NTSOG

Post by NTSOG » 09 Oct 2021, 01:06

fizzbagwhallop: "Quad sticks will give you a much more stable platform to shoot from though…I reckon I could probably have a reasonable zeroing session on mine they’re that steady."

I have to agree with this, though using the trigger stick to support the rifle stock at the rear while resting the forehand on a post gives a really solid position which is easily adjustable in elevation. I have used the Primos rest quite a bit when stalking hares with some success, but have now bought a set of carbon fibre quad sticks - I'm just not stable enough off any tripod rest alone - unless I am sitting. Even then quad sticks are still more stable and thus more accurate for me.
Jim

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 14 Oct 2021, 09:45

Question for the trigger stick users.

Do you actually use them fully spread for kneeling shots?
I've never trusted mine (gen2) not to snap at the hinge when fully spread like that.
Seems a long lever on that plastic joint for even the lightest rifle
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter » 14 Oct 2021, 19:08

I am one for the viper flex, my mates have seen them and how stable a shot you get, that they have brought them.
I can't hold a rifle without them and these sticks have kept me shooting for the last 3 years. I had other contraptions, but now the viper flex sticks are just part of me. The kill rate is most of the time :oops: given the odd day when should of gone to bed :lol: and given my self limitations and imposed distances of 300yrds which l like to be no more than 250 at night on rabbits when possible. They are that good of platform to make those shots with confidence. The 17hmr well I like it at a 100 when possible. :thumbup:
KH

jthyttin

Post by jthyttin » 16 Oct 2021, 13:51

Regarding the left/right vs. fore/aft wobble, I've found the leg position should be adjusted to the type of support. Spreading your legs fore/aft (like taking a step) is best for quad sticks and more left/right spread for tripod.

And if you're not able to get enough support from tripod/bipod in standing position, try reverse high kneeling (support your shooting elbow on knee). Way higher than sitting position and quite stable.