Why so many refurbished ATN thermal scopes on Ebay?

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
spurtoink

Why so many refurbished ATN thermal scopes on Ebay?

Post by spurtoink » 06 Jan 2023, 11:36

Why are there are so many refurbished ATN thermal scopes on EBay.

It just seems odd that such a large percentage of the ATN stuff has gone through some sort of refurbishment.

Was / Is there something wrong with the the units that so many needed something fixed?

Just curious.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Why so many refurbished ATN thermal scopes on Ebay?

Post by phoenix » 06 Jan 2023, 11:58

I hope you don't mind me saying so, but your comment indicates that you are new to the NV/thermal scene.
People like myself who have been involved in NV/thermal for several years will all tell you that ATN is the most unreliable brand of NV/thermal kit on the market
People who don't know better, buy new ATN kit, find it doesn't work and send it back for a refund.
The result is that a LOT of ATN kit goes back for repair and that kit then re-appears as re-furbished kit being sold at reduced prices.
That re-furbished kit is no better, and arguably worse than brand new kit.
Only newbies and dafties buy ATN kit.
Anyone who knows anything about NV/thermal won't touch it

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

spurtoink

Post by spurtoink » 06 Jan 2023, 12:51

Hi.

Bruce to the rescue again! Thanks.

I'm not that new to the subject. In fact, you gave me some really useful advice about a much better option just a couple of days ago which I fully intend to follow.

I knew that ATN hadn't got a particularly good reputation but didn't realise that it was so bad that this number of units had to be returned and resold. I assumed that there was another reason. Something like getting past some law or Ebay guidance or something like that.

I had no intention of buying ATN but was just wondering why there were so many refurbed units for sale.

Thanks for clearing that up and for your earlier advice.

HIK TQ50 for me then.

John_fes

Post by John_fes » 24 Jan 2023, 12:52

ATN is back being directly sold and supported by ATN U.K. at Hereford, 2 year warranty on refurbished items, they got a bad reputation quickly in the U.K. however are very popular in the USA. They must be doing something correct or they would be out of business by now given all the competition from other makes.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 24 Jan 2023, 13:51

They are popular in the USA because they are regarded as a US company that sells NV and thermal products at very competitive prices compared to other US companies.
However, most US buyers are unaware of the fact that all of ATNs products are actually manufactured in China - they make nothing in the USA.
The best regarded suppliers of NV and thermal products in the USA - companies like Outdoor Legacy Gear and Huey Outdoors will have nothing to do with ATN
What ATN does better than anyone else is sales and marketing

Cheers

Bruce

John_fes

Post by John_fes » 24 Jan 2023, 15:54

Try buying something that is not associated with all or some part of it made in China, so don’t consider that a negative.
Supplies sell what the make money from, which is not necessarily a reflection of a brand or it’s products.
Had my ATN 4k pro 5-20 since they first come out and still not convinced I would get a better day or night (not interested in dusk) image for the rabbit and fox shooting I do.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 24 Jan 2023, 16:27

I'm not slagging off all Chinese products.
My first thermal was Guide which is made in china and I currently have HIK and Senopex thermal scopes which are both made in China.
My point is that in general the shooting community in the USA is generally unenthusiastic about chines made products, so US companies who have their products made in China don't tend to advertise that fact
AGM with their AGM branded, but HIK manufactured thermal spotters and scopes as well as ATN are good examples of this
You are correct, suppliers sells what makes money for them, which is why in succession the Night Vision Guys in Ireland, Scott Country and at least two other UK distributors stopped dealing with ATN products - and that forced ATN to open an office in the UK
If you are happy with you 5-20 X Sight 4k then fine, I'm happy for you.
I've had three of them and only one worked.

Cheers

Bruce