Hi all!

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
baffled

Hi all!

Post by baffled » 11 Mar 2012, 21:32

Hi all,
Just joined yesterday so this is my first post. (Please be gentle).

I have been looking around on here for a week or two and am amazed at the 'share it' attitude that seems to prevail.

Am living on Anglesey and and shoot only sub 12ft/lbs.

I have been a member of the bbs for quite a while and recognise a lot of the names on here from there.

I have in my NV past used a Yukon NVMT1, a cobra merlin and have built one of the cascade intensifiers.

Of course I have a question (or 10).

I am looking to build a NV system based on a Watec 1/2" chip camera, I think I shall use a 16mm lens behind a 4-16 x50 scope.

Do you think that this camera/lens/scope combination is o.k.?

The screen I have big problems with.

I don't really know what I am looking for. I realise that the resolution is important but what, ideally, ought it to be? What size screen have people found best?. This issue is complicated by the fact that I have a Sony GV-D800E DVC recorder which is defunct in the tape transfer dept.

Could I perhaps use the screen from this as I don't need a record facility?

All comments and help appreciated!

Ken.

PESCA

Re: Hi all!

Post by PESCA » 11 Mar 2012, 21:58

Hello Ken.

Glad you decided to join us and hopefully, your first impressions of 'sharing' will continue.

I regard to the components for your setup, it sounds like you've got them spot on.

I think if you use your faulty cam as a screen, you'll only be disappointed. If you've got the pennies, I'd opt for a small DVR. There is one that I know a lot of us are using and it's 720 resolution. They were/are from Dogcam and around £100, but I'm sure that you can find one on the bay of evil. I feel that the beauty of the Dogcam unit is the remote record button.

You've said you don't need record, so what about this one for just over £30 delivered

George

silent shooter
FOUNDER

Post by silent shooter » 11 Mar 2012, 23:50

Hi Ken and welcome to the rorum,I am sure George and the others will give you good advice mate ;)

atb Geoff

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 12 Mar 2012, 05:31

Hi Ken - welcome, looks like you have researched the kit very well - yes that little list will do nicely.

That Sony looks a spanking piece of kit mate. I can't find any information on Google regarding the screen resolution but you have nothing to lose by trying it. Sony usually make good stuff and that is suitably expensive. An LCD screen won't set you back much if it doesn't work out for you.

If you can get the device repaired, my information is that Camcorder gubbins are way better than DVR gubbins with regard to processing video, and DV tape technology is apparently far better than storage card technology. (So I'm told by a guy who tried to sell me a video recording device)

This screen has very good resolution and is not much of a spend - I use it to very good effect:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220900935503? ... 1438.l2649

baffled

Post by baffled » 13 Mar 2012, 14:05

First thing. Sorry for the delay in replying as I can't always get on here every day.
Second thing, Many thanks for your answers and such a warm welcome.

I have ordered a dvr screen as recommended and hope it will arrive soon.

The watec has arrived and when connected to the dead Sony gives an 'acceptable' picture
when using a hand held lens of unknown pedigree to the front end of it. I would expect much better results with a decent lens and mounting obviously.

There seems to be a lack of 16mm lenses for 1/2" ccds?? Am I just not looking in the right places?

One other thing I noticed while trying the Watec with the Sony was that with the Watec's own power supply (12v. 3.33amp) it gave me a picture but when I tried it with the battery I was thinking of using (Yuasa12v. .8amp) all I got on the screen was a series of diagonal, moving lines.
Perhaps .8 amps is not enough and I will need a bigger battery.
If so then what would you people advise??

Sorry for so many questions but in time I may be able to provide answers instead of asking questions. :)
Regards,
Ken.

Tadpole

Post by Tadpole » 13 Mar 2012, 21:40

This one works for me on dbay Item number: 250863148383 hth ......... ;)
I’ve just found what I was looking for, it was where I left it …

baffled

Post by baffled » 13 Mar 2012, 21:46

Tadpole,
that looks promising, many thanks, will investigate.
rgds
Ken. :)

verminfilmer

Post by verminfilmer » 13 Mar 2012, 22:50

hi mate, welcome to the forum, this forum was started with the intention of a sharing attitude to other members who want the best NV for there cash with many members on here that have been banned from the BBS including myself for trying to educate people, that you dont need to spend thousands in order to get into NV. this forum is like no other in that unless you use foul language you wont be banned for sharing your knowlage and giving a honest opinion of other NV units. no money is being made from the forum and thats why it works, noone has anything to lose :D only gain. thanks for joining matey,, ATB john