Pistol Grip Spotters. New specs and prices from October 2017

This is for members to sell, buy or swap goods.
some bloke
NON EMMET

Re: Pistol Grip Spotters. New specs and prices from October 2017

Post by some bloke » 12 Jan 2019, 19:25

DrRock wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 18:13
My T75 has a 940 nm pill in it so ill have to see if i can get that red pill for it. I use the T75 with Nite Site Viper which gives it massive extended range but flipping heavy :lol: My mate will light up the quarry after we have spotted it
OK Clive Ward does a red pill for it i think... Thats if its the same torch which i still dont know about TBH

http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/red-s ... 2x24960905

DrRock

Post by DrRock » 14 Jan 2019, 10:03

Thanks. the UniqueFire torch I have does have a red pill but sourcing it is difficult. I suspectvotvwill work with other pills as well.

Just to update you. The spotter arrived Saturday as you predicted :lol: Thanks. I'm still waiting for my batteries!
The UniqueFire torch heads are slightly longer where the screw threading is so they fit over the Rubber O rings on the Evo torch on the spotter but wont screw in. Thus you could test with one but it would likely fall off easily. Never mind I can
at least try my 75mm head but i have ordered a 50 mm head from Evo. I also have a 50 UF head as well and can use that for lamping too if i need a lighter rig. So it won't go to waste. Probably wont get to test the rig under field conditions now until next week but it looks and feels robust and good value for money considering the price of the NiteSite Spotter Extreme

DrRock

Post by DrRock » 06 Feb 2019, 14:39

Hi Dave
Just wanted to say that I am really pleased with the Pistol Grip Spotter. I have used it several times in different circumstances and it has performed brilliantly. It really does see out to good distances with clarity. I took it to Center Parcs on a family break and ventured out into the pitch black. Switched on the Illuminator and very close was a beautiful Doe. Not spooked by the light either. Also saw an Owl 100 yds a way in a tree and tracked it as it swooped off. Took it out rabitting and foxing and it was very good. Managed to see a fox and track it cutting down the use of the Red Lamp, but it escaped as I think it might have been shot at before!. Was great for monitoring and assessing the kills on rabbits too. Great piece of kit and robust, as we are trapping over acres of farm land on foot as well as shooting from the truck.

Also you should be called “great bloke” for sending me the Pistol Grip after the mix up with the other handle, no questions asked which may have been my fault so thanks!

Could you advise me on a good AV recorder to plug into the RCA output for in the field recording

Many thanks again

James

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 06 Feb 2019, 16:48

Aw, its always good to get feedback - and even better when its great, bless ya lilttle cotton socks. :thumbup:

It's so long since I bought a mini DVR that I'm shocked to find the one's with 2.5" screens and internal battery that most of us on here used to use seem to have disappeared from the market, they were priced from about £60 to well over £300.

There a few very compact one's about for FPV drone use, and a simple to connect plug and play one with its internal battery and the RCA cabling you'd need for that socket is here at less than £20:
https://www.banggood.com/Mini-FPV-DVR-M ... rehouse=CN

I don't know of anyone trying it. At such a modest cost would you fancy trying it out and maybe give us a review about how you get on with it for us?

DrRock

Post by DrRock » 06 Feb 2019, 22:05

You’re welcome Dave . Very happy with the spotter and it does the job very well at a great price.

Thanks for the tip on the DVR. At this price it’s worth a spin definitely. I’ve seen others using units up to £500 so if this does the job it’ll be amazing. I will get one and hopefully post some videos and definitely a review.

Jazzyboy

Post by Jazzyboy » 09 Mar 2019, 12:48

Hi Dave, well I promosed to report back to you and here it is.

I purchased my spotter on 17th Nov 18 with the 50mm head and ruby pill and after a few months of extensive testing under all types of conditions I feel I can give you some feedback without the "Rose Tinted Spectacles".

The spotter does struggle if there is a mist or fog but in fairness you did inform me about this and of course the same goes for a torch, (you are right that in mist you can use the spotter if there is enough moon or natural light even tho you would not be able to lamp), that said if you feel you are able to lamp in the current weather then you WILL be able to use this spotter.

Battery life, providing you buy quality flat top batteries, is exeptional. We have had many four hour sessions and never had to change the batteries mid session. I'm NOT saying the batteries last for four hours continuous use but we dont use it like that. we walk, pause, scan and then move on, rinse and repeat. when walking the spotter is off. 150 yds further, turn on again and scan until we spot something to act on, then the spotter stays on longer obviously. I always begin a session with freshly charged cells and the batteries I bought were panasonic 3400Ah flat top ones. When I recharge they are not flat either as they recharge quite quickly.

There are usually two of us out foxing, early on we tried the spotter to locate the fox and a red torch to illuminate for the shot and had some success with younger foxes but a lot of wise old dogs just sloped off immediately the torch hit them so my latest incarnation is one of us on the spotter and the other on the rifle with Pard007 attached. This is a killer combo and provided we dont spook the fox with bad fieldcraft the fox doesn't ever get to know we were there. The torch on the spotter illuminates for the Pard and the scope mag allows me a clear ID on the target out past 200 yds and I won't shoot past 200 at night anyway.

My friend whom I usually shoot with had tried many incarnations of NV himself over recent years and he commented that the spotter is simply the best bit of nnv gear he has ever used, "It just works so perfectly and is so clear" he said! He actually seems to prefer spotting rather than shooting now, I think he's having too much fun with it. :lol:

I really cannot thank you enough for building this for me, we are going to take it rabbiting with the rimmies once we stop foxing. It is just so useful. Thanks again Dave, you are still a legend! :clap:

To anyone reading this, if you are considering getting one of these stop right now and order one, you'll never regret it, it is miles better than anything else we've tried.

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 09 Mar 2019, 21:29

Hey what a lovely feedback post, its so good to know you both rate it so highly. Thank you very much Jazzyboy. :thumbup:

Whilst its great to get the thanks for the build its mostly down to the extra paid for using the mutts nuts genuine KPC E700 camera, many others selling cheaper spotters use an Effiio E 700 tvl camera which is sometimes passed off as an E700.

In case anyone doesn't 'get' the mist or fog comments - here is a video that helps explain how better cameras can see in mist without using an illuminator that would otherwise block out the imaging. This allows a user to get closer to the quarry he may not have otherwise found which puts less fog between it and a rifle where you might get to take a close shot rather than go home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6nPsp8jB5g