Wanted ? 4x4 possibly...

This is for members to sell, buy or swap goods.
gunnybedford

Wanted ? 4x4 possibly...

Post by gunnybedford » 16 Jul 2019, 19:40

Hi
Im thinking about getting a 4x4 for hunting, still going through the options and pondering at present, but wondering if anyone knows of a suitable vehicle ?

Not fussed to much by looks/mileage/age but obviously needs to be mechanically sound and roadworthy, and not about to fall apart in the near future !

something like a Grand vitara of similar ? would not want to spend more than £1000

thanks

Neil

some bloke
NON EMMET

Re: Wanted ?

Post by some bloke » 16 Jul 2019, 20:01

Now then, there's hunting with a 4WD - and using a 4WD to get to your hunting ground. :angel:

I've tried a Pinin, CV-R and two X-trails - the second one because some git slammed into the back of my first brilliant one while her indoors was using it and wrote it off. We got a decent payout for it + wifey eventually got some decent compo too.

If like me you have some mobility or breathing issues I find the X-Trail is perfectly suited for shooting from the door mirror bracket while fully supported and relaxed - assuming you can steer the car wherever you need a rifle to point. The older T30 model is circa £1000 for about 03 reg and the rifle can also be carried across the 'intermediate' dashboard if that's the right description if its a reasonably short rifle which is customarily used for shooting from a vehicle.

The sunroof is also perfect for laying up over a bait station for example, be it facing forwards or backwards. If its raining you can shoot prone out the back door with the tailgate raised and stay dry with the rear seats down.

The petrol modes are incredibly quiet - partly due to a humongous rear silencer so its seriously easy to get within subsonic range of bunnies without them hearing the motor.

Its also very useful to get you to your venue. the downside is it gives about 28MPG and £315 car tax. Since we only use one car between us we can manage that.

The age X-Trail you are looking at for that money may have rusting rear suspension turrets - long story but if you join the Nissan X-trail UK facebook group and search it for 'turret rust' you'll see all you need to know to check that - and remedy it if needed.

It can be used in 2WD, auto 4WD and locked 4WD. Ground clearance is 'adequate' for most field work but not deep ruts.
Last edited by some bloke on 16 Jul 2019, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

gunnybedford

Re: Wanted ? 4x4 possibly...

Post by gunnybedford » 16 Jul 2019, 20:14

Thanks some bloke, it would mainly be to get around to shooting locations, rather than hunting, i am fully mobile and like to walk the fields at night, however i have a new permission that has various fields dotted around, some up the top of small hills with very rutted tracks to them, the farmer wants me to sort the pigeons out come the time to sow them, so will have to get hide,decoys etc up to the fields hence the need for a suitable vehicle.
My car is a Merc CLS, so there is no way its going to get up those tracks LOL !! plus i get the arse when ever i visit my present farm and it gets muddy/dusty , would rather much have a truck i can get about in, and not worry about its cosmetic condition !

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 16 Jul 2019, 20:17

Ah, I edited while you were posting:

"very rutted" not brilliant clearance really.

jdk1

Post by jdk1 » 17 Jul 2019, 07:00

I am going to be putting my CR-V up for sale now I have just bought a Kuga , 2lt auto petrol Y reg , I think the MOT is due around September but if you are interested I will get a fresh one on it , if you want to have a look pm me and I will send you my phone number.

Many Thanks

John