Axes, what do you know about them ?

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Axes, what do you know about them ?

Post by sunndog » 30 Aug 2016, 22:45

ah yes, The reason fiskars offer a lifetime warranty....the haft never breaks because you quickly realise how shite the steel is and never get a days work out of it :lol:

The 025 had a reputation for the carb being 'fussy' to set up. Its a decent enough casual use saw though, so probably worth taking to a local small engine place for a tune up
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 01 Sep 2016, 18:15

:wave: Some light reading when it's to wet to venture out during the long winter evenings that are coming :thumbup:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/rec ... 232823.pdf

:roll: Enjoy :thumbup: Phil
ImageImageImage

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 02 Sep 2016, 10:01

Sunndog, rebuilt 025 a few years back - new crank seals etc - why - because I started it up without the carb on one time (it wasn't running right) and it raced and died. New carb diaphragm and gaskets - ran well after. Drained the oil and petrol out and it got left a few years again not being used. Recently new petroil 50-1 Stihl mix cleaned out carb again, plugs seemed to be sparking although not that bright - old plugs at least 16 years old - but it was flooding a lot. Ok took off the exhaust no problems, eventually got it started by screwing down the adjusters and it ran well for a while and then stopped again. Wretched thing has done no work to speak of. There are new Chinese copy carbs available but is there any point given your 'fussy' comment - because fussy is just about the nail on the head. I have not touched the ignition side at all - left as was. Is this just a fundamentally flawed crap design, carb seems to either on or off with no proper adjustment. Okay there are 3 screws adjustment screws one being mixture up to a point.

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 04 Sep 2016, 12:41

:wave: Morning "onion relish" :thumbup:
If you like the Stihl brand find yourself a old 026 model in good/sleeping condition "a very underrated saw" :thumbup: that will maintain it's value if you look after it with a bit of TLC and good maintenance. Or if the Husqvarna brand is to your liking find yourself any of the older "close port" magnesium bodied saws like the 51 model, you would also not go wrong with a more resent 55 model for good build quality. Research is your friend as all the major chainsaw forums have in-depth reviews of all the notable chainsaws that are either classics models or very much sought after models :thumbup: There are also several Jonsered models that are on a "prized wish list" with knowledgeable chainsaw loving enthusiasts :lol: Good chainsaws are a serious subject and can easily start to cause "another addiction" :roll: :crazy: :lol:
Thanks Phil

:wave: Adam
Was forced to buy a Fiskars axe this morning, had my arm twisted by a stroppy car boot seller who had a take it or leave it attitude with a canvas plumbers bag of tools on her stall. Could see that 1 axe head was stamped with what looked to be the Wetterlings logo and another without any obvious logo but stamped 1000gm. and looked the same as a "Rhineland Axe", the bag also had a Fiskars kindling axe and 4 used and chipped oil stones, a trowel, a ball of string and a broken bread knife. The seller started at £16.00 I walked away at £11.00 she called me back saying £10.00 I told here that times were hard and I did not need a bag of old tools, she told me I was a not appreciating the value of her bag of tools, I said that I would be short of breakfast money at £10.00, she bent her teeth at me and said that she could not possibly go below £8.00, I said are you sure ? She said something under her breath and glared at me, I was enjoying the challenge that was going on so much that I gave her £8.50 in small change and asked her if she had any more tools that were going to be for the car boot sales ? Even if I break or chip the Fiskars ? would think that a 2.25 lb Wetterlings axe head is a fairly good find ?
Thanks Phil
ImageImageImage

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 04 Sep 2016, 13:53

Forgot about this

Pickle, i would bet money its a carb setting issue. If you know a good small engine place locally and you feel the saw is worth it then let them sort it

Phil, agreed mate the 026 is a classic. All the '0' series saws are getting a bit long in the tooth now imo, unless you are a saw fettler obviously
Ms260's in decent nick can be had for £250'ish ready to work

That 2.25lb wetterlings could be a little treasure. Depending on age (quality) and eye size it may make an awsome boys axe.
for non axe men....'boys axe' refers to the size rather than the end user. Also often just called a 3/4 axe, a full sized felling axe would be 3 1/2lb+
Thermal hunting forum

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 04 Sep 2016, 14:37

I will do photographs Adam, definitely three circles in a triangle arrangement with an S in one circle, a A in the middle one, and a W in the third, "wondering whether to give it a full polish to clean up the odd few marks on the faces ?"
Thanks Phil
ImageImageImage

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 04 Sep 2016, 15:23

Yeah please mate, i'd like to see a pic. :thumbup:

If you struggle finding a haft for it. This is a great company who sell smedbergs hafts. Smedbbergs make the handles for gransfors bruk
Top quality stuff

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... rules.html
Thermal hunting forum

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 04 Sep 2016, 16:09

hairyyoda wrote:I will do photographs Adam, definitely three circles in a triangle arrangement with an S in one circle, a A in the middle one, and a W in the third, "wondering whether to give it a full polish to clean up the odd few marks on the faces ?"
Thanks Phil

Phil, that says S A W, sure it's an axe ?? :think:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 04 Sep 2016, 16:38

:lol:
Thermal hunting forum

Radagast