Drone pro issues?

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
6.5shooternv

Drone pro issues?

Post by 6.5shooternv » 26 Jul 2017, 09:04

Ok so following on from a previous post I am now in a position to be able to afford nv for my rifle.
Though of late on afacebook forum the drone pro hasgotten alot of bad reviews about zero problems and mounting issues and its back up service from its supplier in NI.
whats the general view on these issues?
Havent ordered yet asthis hasput me off.

Thanks

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Drone pro issues?

Post by phoenix » 26 Jul 2017, 10:21

Never believe anything you read on faceplook!!
This forum is the best on the internet for anyone who wants to learn about NV
There are many members of this forum who use Drone Pros and you won't find may of them having anything bad to say about it and in particular, the service provided by Carl Moore at Night Vision Gear.
The bottom line is that the Drone Pro is simply the best digital NV scope on the market - bar none, it has been since it first came out about 3 years ago and it's still the best by a country mile.
The difficulty of mounting it depends on the rifle you want to mount it to.
For example, Tikka T3s are easy, Browning X Bolts are a nightmare.
Most zeroing issues have nothing to do with the scope itself, it's far more likely to be associated with how the scope is mounted on the rifle and the tightness of all the fasteners that hold it in place.
If you're in the market for a dedicated digital riflescope then get the Drone Pro - nothing else comes close.
I'll guarantee that there will be many other posts on this topic from other forum members echoing what I've said.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 26 Jul 2017, 11:24

I'll start with the easy one first.

(1) Carl Moore is probably the most respected n/v dealer out there, he himself i believe does the repairs himself, the man is a perfectionist, what he doesn't know about n/v isn't worth knowing----------he is known for not taking any S**t

(2) The Drone Pro its self is rock steady at holding zero, if an add on rail that the Drone mount to isn't right, well then that isn't the fault of the Drone, mine is mounted to a 10mm high extra long aluminium rail, and its never given any trouble at all.
Over a period of about 18 months the number co ordinates have altered by 1 digit left right, and up to 2 digits in height, but i'll nearly guarantee this is to do with the rifle barrel settling in with the more usage its getting, -------when the rifle zero alters we/I usually want to blame the scope, ive shot over 500 foxes with my DP now and know any shot miss isn't the DP other than things coming loose and in my case it never has.

(3) i've had pvs 14 pinnicle gen 3, wardy 700, lots more add on n/v, now got a thermal spotter, there is only one here with the "WOW" factor, and that's the Drone Pro 10x--------- IMO there isn't a better FOXING n/v.

Dave (warbucks)

sauer

Post by sauer » 26 Jul 2017, 19:15

I have an original drone pro one of first that came out, had a fault
Back up service from Carl Moore was 2nd to none guy is a gent and knows his stuff .....

Wouldn't hesitate to buy one ...
No other digi scope is close to it at moment

Paul

6.5shooternv

Post by 6.5shooternv » 27 Jul 2017, 16:35

Ok so I have decided that I will go ahead and purchase adrone.
One question though, what mag should I go for? Anyone got the ten andwish they hadgot the 15x or viceversa.
Dont see many drones come up for sale so they cantbe that bad

Thanks

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 27 Jul 2017, 17:53

X10 definitely, unless all the foxes you shoot at are more than 300 yards away.
The field of view of the X15 is very small making it difficult to find targets detected by your spotter.

Cheers

Bruce

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 27 Jul 2017, 20:02

I also recommend 10x because of the field of view.
Most of my foxes are shot between 100yds-200 yds, if i am ambushing a baiting point, i set up about 125 yds away.
With extreme care the 10x is capable of 300 yd foxes, the main problem is if a fox runs into the electronic caller and dosn't stop even when you shout at it, i had this 6 months ago it came right in to about 30 yds quickly, i couldn't find it with the DP10x before it winded me and was then off, this and similar close range shots will be a lot worse with the 15x.

Dave (warbucks)

6.5shooternv

Post by 6.5shooternv » 28 Jul 2017, 08:11

Thanks fellas! great advice from you lot!

So I am going to order my drone, was wondering what else I need?
What is the best illuminator to go for? There is afella Paul Baker on fb claims his is the best?
What illuminator mount?
Can rechargeablebatteries be used or just use disposables?

Thankyou

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 28 Jul 2017, 09:16

Well done on the Drone.
There are plenty of good illuminators out there.
The Paul Baker illuminator is a rip off copy of an illuminator that was invented by one of our forum members Sunndog.
The illuminator is simply a T20 torch with an Osram Oslon AS IR LED and a Yukon 3x42 lens screwed onto the front - you can make one yourself for less than Paul Baker is selling them for.
If Paul Bakers claim that his illuminator is the best is based on how much IR it produces, then I'm afraid he is wrong.
I have the equipment to accurately measure the output of IR illuminators and I've tested several sunnrangers (including a few built by myself)
The Sunnranger is good and it's a relatively small and comparatively light weight illuminator, but it's output is less than half of the T74s sold by some people and in particular by Ian Sirrel at IR Light builds
Ludicrous lumens also sell sunnranger illuminators

Re batteries for the Drone
It's designed to use 3 volt non rechargeable CR123 lithium batteries.
Rechargeable CR123 lithium batteries are 3.7 volts and can be as high as 4.2 volts when fully charged
You might get lucky and get a Drone that can handle 4.2 volts (they'll all handle 3.7 volts) but I wouldn't take the risk.
Simply buy Panasonic CR123 non rechargeable lithium batteries in bulk from Amazon or E Bay -they work out at about £1 each that way.
Also, when you're out shooting, only switch on the Drone for the shot, the batteries will last much longer that way

Cheers

Bruce

6.5shooternv

Post by 6.5shooternv » 28 Jul 2017, 13:42

Bruce,
Thankyou for youre detailed replies!
Youre obviously very technicaly minded about these things.
Which ir torch do you recommend I go for? Is it a case of choosing a lesser one for closer ranges and a bigger one for biggerfields/longer ranges etc?
Which mount should I buy to mount it onto the drone?
I assume it would need to be adjustable for various ranges?

Thankyou