WANTED - THERMAL TRUCK SPOTTER

This is for members to sell, buy or swap goods.
herbie677325

WANTED - THERMAL TRUCK SPOTTER

Post by herbie677325 » 12 Jan 2021, 23:20

Does such a thing exist? What is the best route to put a remote one on the roof to a screen inside?

Many thanks

George

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: WANTED - THERMAL TRUCK SPOTTER

Post by phoenix » 12 Jan 2021, 23:57

Nothing you can buy off the shelf unless you sell kidney
You can use thermal monocular and mount it on your roof - plenty of folk have done that
However to get it work well you need a thermal imager that has connectors for external DC power in and analog video out
That will allow you to power the thermal from the vehicle and not have to worry about it's internal batteries going flat and will also allow you to connect a cheap LCD screen inside the vehicle to view whatever the thermal is looking at
Do NOT use any of the current Pulsar thermal monoculars because you will be forced to use wifi and Pulsars Streamvision app to see what the thermal is looking at
Streamvison is dreadful, with the connection dropping frequently and the image on the screen lags well behind the thermal
Actually, Image lag is a problem with all thermals which use wifi
The thermal needs to be mounted on a pan and tilt mechanism so that you can scan around and up and down- this is the best "bang for your buck" P&T for the job https://www.haguecamerasupports.com/aer ... -powerhead.
If you decide to go ahead, pm me - I've built of a few of these.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

herbie677325

Post by herbie677325 » 13 Jan 2021, 08:37

Bruce,

Thank you that is extremely kind. Do you have a spotter that you would recommend for this purpose? Is it possible to make the whole thing wireless? Do you have a recommendation for a screen as well or would an iPad work?

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 13 Jan 2021, 08:54

herbie677325 wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 08:37
Bruce,

Thank you that is extremely kind. Do you have a spotter that you would recommend for this purpose? Is it possible to make the whole thing wireless? Do you have a recommendation for a screen as well or would an iPad work?
Our WT35 would be a good candidate for this project.

Waterporoof, with tripod mounting, external power and analogue video or WiFi connection. :thumbup:

https://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/ward ... 2x33812480

Cheers

Clive

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 13 Jan 2021, 09:51

Personally I prefer using a handle through the roof, like the light force or Tracer option vehicle ones. Then fit an internal screen and use run the wire through the handle for the video output..Much better control, rapid like keepers who cover large areas fast with a lamp it’s the same principal , motorised options are not for me , but I can see the appeal ... less setup and so simple the handle option, takes me seconds to fit and remove my vehicle setup with a QD mount or pulsar tripod mount .. try both and see what suits ..

I have the Guide Nano and TK models if you want a decent deal
though. :thumbup:
Last edited by Mini Magnum on 13 Jan 2021, 10:28, edited 2 times in total.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 13 Jan 2021, 10:19

herbie677325 wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 08:37
Bruce,

Clive's WT35 is a good candidate for a roof spotter - decently wide field of view, built like a tank and has connectors for power and video signal.
It also has a standard camera mount which will allow it to be screwed directly onto the hague pan and tilt
As for wireless, it's possible, but I don't recommend it.
I also don't recommend trying to power the whole thing from their internal batteries - it's far better to run everything from the 12v socket in the vehicle
You'll need to run cables from the vehicle for spotter power, pan and tilt power and pan and tilt control anyway, so another thin cable for the video signal isn't going to make much difference.
Plenty of cheap LCD screens available to display the image from the spotter
This will do the job https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-inch-LCD-M ... SwLydeZ5je

Cheers

Bruce

Sk1n

Post by Sk1n » 13 Jan 2021, 19:08

I would go for the handle every time, It is so fast and most importantly your hand will talk to your brain re which way you are looking, so I have the thermal pointing straight forward when the t bar is in my hand with the little power button on the inside as in where my thumb is. Thus in pitch dark I know exactly where the thermal is pointing to get the truck lined up for the shot. The quicker you are the more foxes you will bag!

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 13 Jan 2021, 19:43

Sk1n wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 19:08
I would go for the handle every time, It is so fast and most importantly your hand will talk to your brain re which way you are looking, so I have the thermal pointing straight forward when the t bar is in my hand with the little power button on the inside as in where my thumb is. Thus in pitch dark I know exactly where the thermal is pointing to get the truck lined up for the shot. The quicker you are the more foxes you will bag!
Exactly the same here Sk1n , 100% better quick, accurate, very easy to point people to pickup stuff , or locate direction.. IMO there is no comparison, I just couldn’t use a motor mounted option it would do my nut in ..I’ve used this setup for years.

My Apex XQ LRF fits the the handle that has a weaver rail permanently attached in literally 5 seconds , plug in video lead and it’s done , same to remove ..

I’ll do some videos of the guide vehicle mounted soon , the Nano N2 25mm would be a good unit also for this as a budget option. The WiFi on the Guides has basically zero lag, not sure how but it’s very responsive if a WiFi option was needed ..

If anyone wants to test a Guide let me know , I can take payment and refund on the return of the unit ..

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 13 Jan 2021, 21:37

I'm the opposite because I don't like the cold!!!
All the roof mounted spotters I've built have been motorised and have a direction indicating system so I know where the thermal is looking.
Spot the fox and, if necessary, manoeuvre the vehicle to get the best angle for the shot.

Cheers

Bruce

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 13 Jan 2021, 21:42

phoenix wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 21:37
I'm the opposite because I don't like the cold!!!
All the roof mounted spotters I've built have been motorised and have a direction indicating system so I know where the thermal is looking.
Spot the fox and, if necessary, manoeuvre the vehicle to get the best angle for the shot.

Cheers

Bruce
Internal roof bar handle Bruce it’s all nice and cosy and fully waterproof externally as the unit is rated . Motor options sound brilliant , I can see why , but definitely not for me , they would not be suitable for my style of use at all , I’m driving land and scanning constantly in all directions , it has to be quick , fluid and very responsive to small movements ..

Whatever suits and works , everyone has different requirements
Last edited by Mini Magnum on 14 Jan 2021, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.