WANTED - THERMAL TRUCK SPOTTER

This is for members to sell, buy or swap goods.
Crystal-Meth

Re: WANTED - THERMAL TRUCK SPOTTER

Post by Crystal-Meth » 14 Jan 2021, 09:21

phoenix wrote:Nothing you can buy off the shelf unless you sell kidney
You can use thermal monocular and mount it on your roof - plenty of folk have done that
However to get it work well you need a thermal imager that has connectors for external DC power in and analog video out
That will allow you to power the thermal from the vehicle and not have to worry about it's internal batteries going flat and will also allow you to connect a cheap LCD screen inside the vehicle to view whatever the thermal is looking at
Do NOT use any of the current Pulsar thermal monoculars because you will be forced to use wifi and Pulsars Streamvision app to see what the thermal is looking at
Streamvison is dreadful, with the connection dropping frequently and the image on the screen lags well behind the thermal
Actually, Image lag is a problem with all thermals which use wifi
The thermal needs to be mounted on a pan and tilt mechanism so that you can scan around and up and down- this is the best "bang for your buck" P&T for the job https://www.haguecamerasupports.com/aer ... -powerhead.
If you decide to go ahead, pm me - I've built of a few of these.

Cheers

Bruce
I’ve just bought a HIKmicro 19mm monocular and the Wi-Fi connection to HIKs T-Vision app is bombproof....no lag whatsoever. I leave it mounted on a tripod overlooking our veg garden and monitor it in doors in front of the fire Image
....good to see that one manufacturer has sorted Wi-Fi streaming....(I wish Pard could do the same).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 14 Jan 2021, 10:33

There's no APPARENT lag because the thermal is stationary.
Have someone scan it around while you look at the screen and see the difference

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 14 Jan 2021, 10:50

Well he could be on crystal meth. :lol:

Crystal-Meth

Post by Crystal-Meth » 14 Jan 2021, 11:21

phoenix wrote:There's no APPARENT lag because the thermal is stationary.
Have someone scan it around while you look at the screen and see the difference

Cheers

Bruce
No lag when scanning.....I’d post a video, but that wouldn’t help unless I could get a simultaneous shot of the viewfinder.
I think provided the scope/monocular has got a decent fast processor that’s up to the job of streaming video AND the phone app is efficient AND you have a decent smart phone that can decode it there isn’t a problem.
....so 3 elements that can cause a problem (simply solved by a cable ;-)
However HIK seem to have got it right with my monocular at least when using their T-Vision app on an iPhone 11 Pro Max.
The Pard 008P LRF is hopeless in comparison, but I haven’t worked out if it’s the Pard or just the various third party apps that cause the problem.

jeffo

Post by jeffo » 14 Jan 2021, 11:40

I used to use my xq38f on a light force T bar, worked great using wireless, some lag but I could live with that, but sent it to TJ, to be repaired then when I got it back, had trouble to connect to WiFi, so only used as a hand spotter now, as not going to send it back again

anthony

Post by anthony » 14 Jan 2021, 11:48

i use Quantum xq50 hard wired to screen with a light force T bar on the roof the truck which works very well
Rapid 7 Mk2 fac 30ftps 3-9x50 AG + Kevg Mod
Rapid 7 Mk1 3-9x50 AG + Nutshot Mod
Ruger 10-22 / Tasco 3-9x50 AG + Gen3 PVS14
CZ 17 HMR / Tasco 3-9x50 AG
223 Howa 1500 Laminated Thumbhole Stock + T Ceptor pro 55-3

jeffo

Post by jeffo » 14 Jan 2021, 12:09

I've never looked through one of them, it's a shame the xq38f couldn't be hard wired

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 14 Jan 2021, 12:12

Too many links in the chain with wireless connections and apps
Hard wired is simple and reliable.
IMHO, for a proper job, the spotter and, if used, the pan and tilt, need to powered from the vehicle 12v supply.
Since there will then be a power cable from the vehicle up to the spotter, why not run a video cable down from the spotter at the same time.
That way you can stay out as long as you want and not have to worry about batteries.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Chrissmith0881

Post by Chrissmith0881 » 15 Jan 2021, 20:02

Mini Magnum wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 09:51
Personally I prefer using a handle through the roof, like the light force or Tracer option vehicle ones. Then fit an internal screen and use run the wire through the handle for the video output..Much better control, rapid like keepers who cover large areas fast with a lamp it’s the same principal , motorised options are not for me , but I can see the appeal ... less setup and so simple the handle option, takes me seconds to fit and remove my vehicle setup with a QD mount or pulsar tripod mount .. try both and see what suits ..

I have the Guide Nano and TK models if you want a decent deal
though. :thumbup:
What is a good model to do just this as I would like something to put on my lightforce handle and the wifi on the pulsars is rubbish.
Chris.

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 15 Jan 2021, 20:33

Chrissmith0881 wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 20:02
Mini Magnum wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 09:51
Personally I prefer using a handle through the roof, like the light force or Tracer option vehicle ones. Then fit an internal screen and use run the wire through the handle for the video output..Much better control, rapid like keepers who cover large areas fast with a lamp it’s the same principal , motorised options are not for me , but I can see the appeal ... less setup and so simple the handle option, takes me seconds to fit and remove my vehicle setup with a QD mount or pulsar tripod mount .. try both and see what suits ..

I have the Guide Nano and TK models if you want a decent deal
though. :thumbup:
What is a good model to do just this as I would like something to put on my lightforce handle and the wifi on the pulsars is rubbish.
Chris.
What field of view do you require or detection distance, also budget ?