where to start ?

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
lesc

where to start ?

Post by lesc » 05 Sep 2019, 07:22

Good evening ...
My name is Les.
I hunt in New Zealand .
Mostly deer, but sometimes other game such as rabbits goats and pigs . The terrain varies alot . Sometimes open country sometimes bush edge .
Occasionally we do spotlighting ( lamping ? ) on dark nights and shoot what ever came be seen thru a daytime scopes in the light of the spotlight .
I shoot deer out to 300 mts, but usually not much further, and usually around 200 mts .
But the deer are getting smarter and run at the first flash of the spotlight , so now I need a night shooting option . An arrangement that the light doesn,t frigthen them.
Looks like the the thermal options are outside of my price range , but I could afford a good IR scope arrangement that was reliable out to 200 mts .
So what to choose ?
My current first hunting rifle (7mm-08 ) has a Delta Titanium scope , a great scope . Is a clip on the right way to go ? then what clip on ?
My secound rifle ( also 7mm-08 ) has a Millet on it , but I could change it out for a dedicated NV setup . But what setup ?
Your advice would be appreciated
thanks
les

matfff

Re: where to start ?

Post by matfff » 05 Sep 2019, 17:03

Hi mate,
I can only speak for UK availability and laws, no idea what is available under what laws/regs in NZ.
Consensus on here would be if you want to go add on, then the Pard 007 is the one to go for. They appear to be a little scope fussy and a parallax adjustable scope, preferably on the side, is a must.
I personally don’t like add ons, weird head position and to much stuff between you and the target. If you go dedicated, then the choice on here would be Pard NV008, now available with an LRF. However at your calibre and distance, probably unnecessary. It has it’s own vcsel illuminator. If you want to spend quite a bit more, then the ENV10/15, or Digiceptor would be the consensus. These last would need their own illuminator, choice of the vcsel’s are the Solaris SRX, Sirius XTL, or Blacksun Dark Engine.
Try before you buy if you can!

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 05 Sep 2019, 19:10

If your delta titanium has side parallax down to less than 20 yards, then the PARD NV007 would be, by far, your cheapest option, and will perform very well.
Matiff is right that the extra length of the add-on doesn't give the most comfortable shooting position, but most people get used to it and put up with it because of the benefits that come with using the NV007.
Basically, when the infra red light used in night vision passes through a scope, it focusses at a different place than visible light, so the scope has to have some sort of focussing mechanism for the add-on to be able to produce a clear image.
Also, high end scopes tend to have lens coatings that don't allow infra red light to pass very well.
However, The Delta Titanium scopes have an excellent reputation in the NV community as being one of the best scopes to use with an add-on (as long as your particular model has either front focus or side focus)
Millet is not a brand commonly available in the UK so I don't there is much, if any, experience of how it works with an NV add-on.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

lesc

Post by lesc » 06 Sep 2019, 07:16

evening night hunters
New zealanders can buy most things that they might want . The usual route is thru a legimate importer already importing guns, ammo, scopes etc . Although self direct import is also common. I bought the delta in myself from Optics-trades.EU . So I could probably get a pard 007 or 008. But these sorts of kit are already here ...
ATN x sight 4k ( 900 pounds ) , Pulsar N455 ( 1300 pounds ) , proton RT 4.2 ( 630 pounds ) .
If you recognise these scopes , whats your opinion in comaprision to the Pard option? I,d need to import the Pard from you guys , and have it sent out .
thanks
les

jthyttin

Post by jthyttin » 06 Sep 2019, 08:28

If you can get Pulsar and Yukon, maybe soon also Yukon Sightline N47x series (N470 is 850nm and N475 940nm). It would be better than the ones you mention, but needs or at least greatly benefits from external illuminator at the longer distances. So does Pard NV008, which is less covert but maybe better pic if IR is abundant.

In addition to being able to buy I'm sure you're aware of any limitations on NV use (if present).

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 06 Sep 2019, 08:42

ATN X Sight should be the best with its 4K sensor, but in practice it's a big heavy lump, with poor NV performance, features that are heavily advertised, but don't work reliably and saddled with ATNs dire reputation for back up and service - personally, I would n't touch it with a bargepole, but some people seem to like it.
Pulsar N455 has good NV performance at the price of a lower resolution image (it's not full HD) - for me it's very overpriced for what it is
Yukon Photon is a good entry level scope, but it has been completely surpassed by the PARD NV008.
The NV008 makes the Photon obsolete, so don't bother
Comparing the NV008 and the Pulsar N455:
The PARD is much cheaper and is full HD, producing an excellent image with it's on board laser IR illuminator out to around 150 ym.
For ranges beyond that, an external illuminator is needed, but even adding approx £150 for a good external illuminator still makes it cheaper than the Pulsar.
Presuming the first 3 scopes are available to you from local retailers then I presume warranty claims would not be a issue.
Buying a PARD from a UK seller would not give you the same legal protection, but if you buy from Blackwood outdoors or Customriflescopes in the UK, they both have excellent reputations for customer service and I don't think they would give you a hard time if you had problems with anything you bought from them.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

lesc

Post by lesc » 12 Sep 2019, 06:50

Just continuing the PARD product discussion ...
I wondered if anyone has seen the companys own retail site. http://www.thermal-imaging-scope.com/ni ... d-NV007-EN ..
where the NV007 is $500 USD plus the usual other costs.
the warranty conditions are really interesting for something that costs 500 us dollars . Take a look ..............
https://www.thermal-imaging-scope.com/T ... ditions-en

les

jthyttin

Post by jthyttin » 12 Sep 2019, 08:30

I fail to understand what you mean? Second clause from your link:

"THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY TO OUR WEBSITE AND NOT OUR PRODUCTS."

lesc

Post by lesc » 12 Sep 2019, 09:45

I saw that as well .... but it was followed their warranty disclaimer and Their warranty disclaimer is as follows ...
"Warranty Disclaimer
This site and the materials and products on this site are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind, whether express or implied. To the fullest extent permissible pursuant to applicable law, thermal-imaging-scope.com disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. thermal-imaging-scope.com does not etc "

THe reason I was following it up was that I noticed a similar warranty disclaimer on a UK site acting as a PARD retailer where they said "we only sell them " and "if there is a warranty issue you will need to take that up with the manufacturer" . (essentailly ) however I dont think a UK retailer could actaully escape consumer laws .
However, the manufacturer makes no offers of warrantys on the home site , and their "retail store " seems to have warranty disclaimer

But anyway ... I have actaully ordered one ( NV007) from an Austrailian retailer (www.spectratactical.com.au ) of the product , who have renamed it their "ST760 " and it comes with their own company warranty of one year.
FYI , how the deal actually goes down . Product goes china to hong kong ( Paid for in USD ) then Hong Kong to USA , Then USA to Australia . THere rebranded to ST760 and sold to me with one year warranty effective in New Zealand .